Here are a few examples to get your creative juices flowing.
How to Enter
Submit your entry online here via the Sciku Entry Form. We encourage you to also post your sciku to social media using #AtlSciku. However, only entries received via our online form will be judged. Entries are accepted on a rolling basis until the contest closes on February 23, 2017 at 5:00pm EST. Winners will be selected and announced via Atlanta Science Festival’s Twitter and Facebook feeds on the following dates:
- First Round Winner announced January 28, 2017
- Second Round Winner announced February 11, 2017
- Last date to enter: February 23, 2017 at 5:00pm EST
- Third Round Winner announced February 25, 2017
- The contest is open to anyone wishing to enter.
- Submissions must be in the form of an original haiku consisting of three lines. The first line has five syllables, the second has seven, and third has five. Subject matter should reflect a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics topic. This includes but is not limited to chemistry, biology, physics, astronomy, nanotechnology, computer science, discovery, innovation, statistics, etc.
- Selective science prompts may be given throughout the contest via Twitter and the contest webpage (http://atlantasciencefestival.org/sciku). Submissions during that week should reflect the given prompt. For example, if a prompt of ‘zoology’ is announced on a given Sunday, all submissions during that week from Sunday to Saturday should contain the subject matter of animals. Follow @AtlSciFest to stay informed.
- Participants are encouraged to share their scikus on Facebook or Twitter using #AtlSciku. However, to be considered for the contest, entries must be submitted via the online submission form available at http://atlantasciencefestival.org/sciku. Entries must include the author’s name, age, and email address.
- All entries must be original, uncopied, and unpublished work. Entries must be the contestant’s own work and written without any external help.
- Contestants are permitted a maximum of three (3) entries per week.
- First, Second and Third Round Winners will be selected from the pool of previously submitted entries by a team of sciku enthusiasts at the Atlanta Science Festival. Preference will be given to entries from contestants who have not previously won.
- Three winners will receive a pair of VIP tickets to our Festival Launch event on March 14, 2017, including a Meet & Greet with our special guest (whose identity will be announced Feb. 6), a free 2017 Atlanta Science Festival T-shirt, and a feature on Atlanta Science Festival social media channels and newsletters. Winners are invited to read their sciku live on stage during the Festival’s Exploration Expo, March 25. So tap into your creative side and share your best sciku!
- By submitting your work, you grant the Atlanta Science Festival, Inc. unrestricted permission to re-format, re-publish, and otherwise use your name, age, and haiku for promotional purposes for the Atlanta Science Festival without further compensation.
- Questions? Contact [email protected]